On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:32:47PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > Maybe the next time he uses apt*, somehow the system should tell him...
>
> Somehow, but how exactly?

fwiw I intend to have apt print a notice at the end of each
'apt(-get) update' call if certain conditions are met in bookworm.

My branch with details can be found here:
https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/merge_requests/282

It is marked Draft as I mainly need to a) figure out which firmware
packages from bullseye (will have been) moved in bookworm to
non-free-firmware for one of my targeted scenarios and b) have a
reasonably detailed entry in the release notes to link to explaining
what to actually do as I really don't want to get into details in
a one-line message… will be hard enough to cover all bases in a few
paragraphs after all.

A stub for the release-notes can be found in
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes/-/merge_requests/138
although as I noted in a comment there I would prefer a more
detailed §5 entry rather than linking to a rather short §4.

The code isn't exactly rocket-science (although a bit lengthy) & as I
am reusing already existing messages it could theoretically be
backported to bullseye and pushed in a stable update so that users
would see it while upgrading instead of on some run after the upgrade,
but for the moment I am not planing to push for that. I might have if
someone had shown any interest in the idea months ago[0].

The message is rather cryptic, but its intent is to catch unaware
sid/testing users and those stable users who don't read release notes,
so that is borderline okay. If the goalpost is instead moved to every
user of Debian the messages should really not be that cryptic, but that
would mean more work & more diff (not just by me, but e.g. translators).
At this point in time it seems better to focus this energy on the
release notes. Or, on discussing if gmake users are affected, too, …

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/10/msg00217.html