On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:12:04 +0000 Richard Lewis
<richard.lewis.deb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Presumably the release notes should also say that most people should
> consider systemd-timesyncd as this is priority:standard (since at
> least buster, but i dont remember seeing this in release notes then)?
> - i assume the idea is that if you dont have any special needs beyond
> "set the clock" should use systemd-timesyncd, And people who need
> extra features (like running their own ntp server) should install
> ntpsec / chrony / opennntpd ?

Recommending timesyncd as an NTP client to replace ntpd would not be a
good idea, especially if you consider the default configuration using
servers from pool.ntp.org.

The pool is very robust as a whole, but individual servers cannot be
relied on. They are run by volunteers. Some are well maintained, some
are not. Occasionally, servers drift away or step to a distant past or
future, e.g. due to GPS firmware bugs. The pool monitoring system
detects such servers and quickly removes them from the pool DNS, but
simple clients like timesyncd cannot recover from that. Once they got
the address from DNS, they will follow the server for as long as it
claims to be synchronized, no matter how wrong it is. A full-featured
NTP client is needed to detect and replace falsetickers. With
timesyncd the only option is to restart the service when you notice
the clock is wrong. I've seen many times users complaining about that
and getting this advice over the years.

timesyncd needs to be configured with a reliable server to work well.
Canonical maintains their own NTP servers and uses them by default in
Ubuntu. That makes senses. Debian uses pool.ntp.org, so it should
recommend a proper NTP client for a reliable service.