On 2017-03-28 15:06 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Craig Francis writes ("Line ending issue when "Reading database""):
>> When running `apt-get upgrade` via a cron job, there is a "Reading database"
>> section.
>>
>> In the email this appears as:
>> It's not a major issue, as it just breaks DKIM signing of emails;
>> where the "\ r" is changed to a "\r\n" after the DKIM signature has
>> been added.
>>
>> I've been informed by Julian Klode that this relates to `dpkg`:
>
> I think that these \r-terminated progress messages should be printed
> only when the destination is a tty.

One problem here is that there is currently no option for dpkg to
suppress the output entirely, see bug #539617[1].  The other one is that
apt always runs dpkg in a tty, unless an undocumented option is used[2].

Adding "-o Dpkg::Use-Pty=0" to apt-get's commandline should at least get
rid of the of the \r line breaks.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=539617