This resolved (and explained) this issue. I hadn't realized PNGs had embedded
timestamps.
Thank you,
Gerard

From: Niels Thykier <ni...@thykier.net>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 3:41 PM
To: Weatherby,Gerard; debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dpkg-buildpackage modifying *png file

Weatherby,Gerard:
> I'm using dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us to prepare a *deb package for a
> private repository.
>
> It seems to be modifying a byte PNG image file, as indicated by "cmp"
>
> ./relax/docs/html/icons/index.png
> ./debian/relax/usr/software/relax/docs/html/icons/index.png differ: byte 82,
> line 3
>
> My debian/install file looks like:
> relax /usr/software
>
> ?I'd appreciate a hint as to what's going on.
>

> [...]

Hi,

I suspect it is not dpkg-buildpackage but the tools run from
debian/rules.  If you use the minimal debian/rules based on dh, then it
will run "dh_strip_nondeterminism" which among other will attempt to
normalize metadata in png files.

Assuming my guesses are correct so far, you can disable
dh_strip_nondeterminism by inserting an empty override for it.  Assuming
no existing override, this should be as simple as:

  echo "# Disable dh_strip_nondeterminism" >> debian/rules
  echo "override_dh_strip_nondeterminism:" >> debian/rules

Thanks,
~Niels