Hi Wolfgang,

On  Mo 22 Jan 2018 01:17:54 CET, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 02:56:17PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 01:41:53PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> we install with desktop=mate. Also on those? My experience with various
> stretch workstations is different. We will double check tomorrow / Tuesday.

Tested: mate on Buster, xfce on Stretch (others not available atm).

Other DEs as well: gnome, kde, mate (Stretch).
NetworkManager-wait-online.service is always enabled.

Also, from network-magager changelog:
network-manager (1.2.2-2) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Let NetworkManager.service pull in network.target. This will provide
    a proper ordering on shutdown.
  * Enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service. This ensures thatmounting of
    network file systems works properly and SysV init scripts depending on
    $network will be delayed until network is available (or a timeout is
    reached).
  * Make sure NetworkManager-wait-online.service is enabled on upgrades. We
    need to purge the old state, otherwise i-s-h won't enable the service on
    upgrades.

 -- Michael Biebl <bi...@debian.org>  Thu, 02 Jun 2016 19:00:45 +0200

---------------------------

AFAICT d-e-c does nothing to change this default behaviour.

Wolfgang

Some weeks ago, we move forward with this issue.

The point is not that NetworkManager.wait-online.service is not enabled.

The point is that /etc/network/interfaces has an entry for eth0 (or what the first NIC is called).

This is true for stretch, at least. Could you check, if your buster systems manage eth0 via ifupdown? If so, NetworkManager ignores that interface and the wait-online service has no effect on that device.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: mike.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de