[Dominik George]
> @Mike, @Petter: Did you realise that pam-python is AGPL?

According to <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/578650 > it was Eclipse
Public License v1.0 when it was initially registered.  I was not aware
of any relicencing, but see the d/copyright file now say AGPL.  No idea
when the change happened.

I am not aware that AGPL have such effect on desktop systems either, but
that is unrelated to your question.

> If the latter fails, we should either rewrite such a module under a
> less restrictie licence, or rewrite libpam-mklocaluser in C or Rust,
> or get rid of the need for libpam-mklocaluser (probably by using
> sssd).

I believe there is also a small pam module in debian-edu-config to ask
people to change passwords using the web interface.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen