The test passes for me using

  XEmacs 21.4 (patch 22) "Instant Classic" [Lucid] (x86_64-linux-gnu, Mule) of
Sun Dec 27 2015 on lgw01-11

Note my patch level is lower than yours.

Immediately above the error is this:

   Ignoring `eval:' in file's local variables

But 0test.el has this:

  (setq enable-local-eval t)

Can you please debug why that setting is being ignored and the "Ignoring"
warning happens?

-Wilson