Cisco switches has a feature where it can enforce the use of DHCP assigned
IP. (Prevent IP spoofing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP_snooping

With this in place it becomes a matter of logging DHCP assignments, or
fixing IP to MAC assignments.

Much less hassle for your users, than having to log into a captive portal
every time.
If they really wanted to they could even spoof IP and MAC, of someone who
has already authenticated earlier.