On 2012-09-23 14:32, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 22.09.2012 15:04, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> On 2012-09-22 12:08, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> I don't want this in gcc-4.7. Please provide a patch for gcc-defaults. This
>>> should work as well.
>>
>> That won't work, just tried it. The only package from gcc-defaults that
>> could be involved in the problematic upgrade paths is gcj-jre-headless
>
> wrong. You even include another one below:
>
>> libgcj-bc 4.7.1-1
>
> and libgcj-common.

Oops, overlooked these two.
But libgcj-bc is uninteresting as it does not show up in the
dependencies of any other of the listed packages ...

libgcj-common is an interesting candidate for adding the Breaks, as it
is included in all the upgrade paths. Unfortunately there are still a
few failing upgrades, because squeeze's apt decides to keep the old
versions of gcc-4.4-base and libgcj-common instead of kicking out
gcj-4.4-base (and some old libs that depend on this).
I've tested both squeeze2sid and squeeze2wheezy, both had the same problems.

So the solution with updating gcc-4.7-base works better because it is a
new package, so during the distupgrade apt only has two choices
(install or keep uninstalled) and "keep uninstalled" means a lot of
packages cannot be upgraded. While for an updated (with additional breaks)
gcc-4.4-base or libgcj-common which already exist in squeeze, apt actually
has three choices: upgrade, keep old version or remove. And keeping a few
old packages may weigh less expensive than removing a small dependency
tree of obsolete packages (gcj-4.4 and libs and support and ...)

Andreas

One example where to updated libgcj-common is not working:

libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java

0m40.6s DEBUG: Starting command: ['chroot', '/tmp/piupartss/tmplfjm_c',
'apt-get', '-yf', 'dist-upgrade']
1m17.0s DUMP:
  Reading package lists...
  Building dependency tree...
  Reading state information...
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    defoma libpango1.0-common
    gcc-4.7-base libapt-pkg4.12 libatk1.0-data libclass-isa-perl libdb5.1
    libffi5 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libjbig0 libjpeg8
    liblzma5 libmount1 libp11-kit0 libpam-modules-bin libsemanage-common
    libsemanage1 libssl1.0.0 libswitch-perl libtinfo5 libustr-1.0-1 libxcb-shm0
    multiarch-support python2.7 python2.7-minimal
    gcc-4.4-base libgcj-common
    apt base-files base-passwd bash bsdutils coreutils dash debconf debconf-i18n
    debian-archive-keyring debianutils diffutils dpkg e2fslibs e2fsprogs file
    findutils fontconfig fontconfig-config gnupg gpgv grep gzip hostname
    initscripts insserv libacl1 libasound2 libatk1.0-0 libattr1 libavahi-client3
    libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libblkid1 libbz2-1.0 libc-bin libc6
    libcairo2 libcomerr2 libcups2 libdatrie1 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1
    libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgcrypt11 libgdbm3 libglib2.0-0
    libgnutls26 libgpg-error0 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common
    libice6 libjasper1 libjpeg62 libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1 libkrb5-3
    libkrb5support0 liblocale-gettext-perl libmagic1 libncurses5 libncursesw5
    libnewt0.52 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libpango1.0-0 libpcre3
    libpixman-1-0 libpng12-0 libpopt0 libreadline6 libselinux1 libsepol1
    libslang2 libsm6 libsqlite3-0 libss2 libstdc++6 libtasn1-3
    libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libthai-data libthai0 libtiff4
    libusb-0.1-4 libuuid1 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb-render-util0
    libxcb-render0 libxcb1 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxdmcp6
    libxext6 libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1
    libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java libxml2 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6
    login lsb-base mawk mime-support mount ncurses-base ncurses-bin passwd perl
    perl-base perl-modules python python-minimal python2.6 python2.6-minimal
    readline-common sed sensible-utils shared-mime-info sysv-rc sysvinit
    sysvinit-utils tar ttf-dejavu-core tzdata ucf util-linux whiptail x11-common
    xz-utils zlib1g
  141 upgraded, 24 newly installed, 2 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
  Need to get 74.8 MB of archives.
  After this operation, 15.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.

while the gcc-4.7-base with updated Breaks produces the better result:

1m3.5s DEBUG: Starting command: ['chroot', '/tmp/piupartss/tmpI_VRBi',
'apt-get', '-yf', 'dist-upgrade']
1m44.5s DUMP:
  Reading package lists...
  Building dependency tree...
  Reading state information...
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    defoma gcj-4.4-base gcj-4.4-jre gcj-4.4-jre-headless libgcj10 libgcj10-awt
    libpango1.0-common
    gcc-4.7-base libapt-pkg4.12 libatk1.0-data libclass-isa-perl libdb5.1
    libdpkg-perl libffi5 libfile-fnmatch-perl libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
    libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libjbig0 libjpeg8 liblzma5 libmount1 libp11-kit0
    libpam-modules-bin libsemanage-common libsemanage1 libssl1.0.0
    libswitch-perl libtimedate-perl libtinfo5 libustr-1.0-1 libxcb-shm0
    multiarch-support python2.7 python2.7-minimal
    apt base-files base-passwd bash bsdutils coreutils dash debconf debconf-i18n
    debian-archive-keyring debianutils debsums diffutils dpkg e2fslibs e2fsprogs
    file findutils fontconfig fontconfig-config gcc-4.4-base gnupg gpgv grep
    gzip hostname initscripts insserv libacl1 libasound2 libatk1.0-0 libattr1
    libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libblkid1 libbz2-1.0
    libc-bin libc6 libcairo2 libcomerr2 libcups2 libdatrie1 libdbus-1-3
    libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgcj-common libgcrypt11
[...]
  144 upgraded, 27 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 75.6 MB/76.1 MB of archives.
  After this operation, 38.4 MB disk space will be freed.