On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> 1. Do nothing. The timezone data will be updated with the quarterly
> updates of OpenJDK.

Sounds like OpenJDK has an embedded copy of tzdata? Can we get
upstream to disentangle that, at least for their source releases?

> 2. Copy the sources of the compiler (13 files) into the tzdata package.
> The compiler will be built along tzdata and used to generate the
> tzdb.dat file. This is the path followed by the tzdata package in Fedora
> [2].

Ick.

> 3. Build the compiler and install it in the openjdk-8-jre-headless
> package. This is similar to the OpenJDK 6 & 7 package. tzdata will then
> build depend on openjdk-8-jre-headless and invoke the compiler to
> generate tzdb.dat. This adds an extra jar in openjdk-8-jre-headless that
> is only useful to the tzdata package though.

Sounds okish.

> 4. Create a new libtzdbtools-java package containing the compiler, and
> make tzdata build depend on it. This libtzdbtools-java package could be
> generated from the openjdk-8 source package or made independent by
> extracting the tzdb compiler sources into a new package.

This is mostly equivalent to 3 since the libtzdbtools-java package
would pull in -headless to run the code. Personally I don't see a
reason to create a separate package, just seems like a downside to me
(due to NEW).

> 5. Implement a java.time.zone.ZoneRulesProvider [3] that reads the TZif2
> files installed by the tzdata package in /usr/share/zoneinfo. This would
> render the tzdata-java package obsolete in the long term. GNU ClassPath
> has a TZif2 parser [4] that could be used as a starting point.

This is by far the best solution, especially if upstream adopts it.

> What do you think? If we can settle on a solution I'll start working on
> it at the end of the month.

1 and 2 aren't good ideas IMO. I would say start on 3 (or 4) now and
also work on 5 for the long term.

--
bye,
pabs