On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Aurelien Jarno <aurel...@aurel32.net> wrote:
>> So this is IMO, the wrong thing to do. You should push the patch into
>> upstream 2.19 stable and rebase instead of keeping the patch in debian
>> svn. Given the patch is already in upstream master it is OK to commit
>> to 2.19 stable, and post to libc-stable stating you checked in this
>> fix. That way debian gets broader testing of the patches we are using
>> instead of the narrower "just debian" users.
>
> If it is fine to push this kind of patch in this branch, I would
> certainly do that. I also backported for debian patch b0a3c164. Would
> it be possible to also push it to the branch?

If the patch doesn't change API/ABI, and it was accepted for master,
then it's perfectly acceptable to push to 2.19 stable branch.

You post your commit email to libc-stable so other maintainers know
why you're pushing the patch.

You'd post a Subject:[COMMITTED] 2.19: Fix blah blah blah, Body:
Cherry picked fix for the ppc64le bug X into 2.19.

Following the usual cherry pick process:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/GlibcGit#Cherry_Pick_Changes_From_Another_Branch

Then you're done. The 2.19 branch is a rolling stable release from
which you can rebase your own distro branches, either external (on
sourceware) or internal (in your own repos in the distro).

Cheers,
Carlos.