On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Aurelien Jarno <aurel...@aurel32.net> wrote:
> On 2016-05-23 11:09, YunQiang Su wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Aurelien Jarno <aurel...@aurel32.net> wrote:
>> > control: merge 824985 824996
>> > thanks

>> > We'll apply the patch to the sid branch and merge it into 2.23.
>> >
>> > I have one global comment about it though. Do we need to keep multilib
>> > with the 3 ABI? It makes MIPS toolchain painfully slow to build and
>> > nowadays the same can be achieved with multiarch (or even with the
>> > plain old chroots).
>> >
>> > The same way should we really add support for n32? We have more and more
>> > issues to solve on 32-bit machines due to the limited address space, so
>> > if the host supports 64-bit instructions, we should go to full 64 bits.
>> >

>> In fact I won't build them on Debian official build machines.
>> The multilib and N32 will help me to build cross toolchains.
>>
>> As we talked in the last Debconf, we are planning for migrate to 64bit,
>> while I still wish the patches for 32/n32/multilib still in the code base,
>> so I can build cross toolchains or base system in private repo.
>
> The patch for adding so many architectures is big (mostly due to
> multilib) and we'll have to maintain consistency for all
> debian/sysdeps/mips*.mk when doing a change. I guess that's acceptable
> though if we accept some of them will get broken over time.

My plan is to have a continuous cross toolchain for all of these architectures.
So, I prefer we can keep them.

As r6 shared the same method in gcc with r5-, if we remove the multilib
support, we will have to make r6 different process with r5- in gcc.

I think I can keep them sync.

> Now the real question is about multilib support for MIPS R6. Do we
> really want to keep using multilib for them? This makes MIPS the slowest
> architectures to build the toolchain, while nowadays one can build
> cross toolchains without pre-existing multilib support.

I don't think build time will be a big problem.

--
YunQiang Su