On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 01:47:30PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 07:17:56AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Obviously, this is an abuse, but that's the cost of being the default.  If
> > we had C.UTF-8 as a first-class locale, this wouldn't be that much an
> > argument, but currently d-i falls back to en_US for English for most
> > countries.
>
> > The decision belongs to the maintainer (I'm reassigning), but per the above
> > reasoning, I expect wontfix.
>
> No, this is a nonsense argument.  The en_US.UTF-8 locale must reflect the
> actual usage in the US.  "Well, systems use it as a default, so we're going
> to overload it" would be idiotic.

This is what d-i does, thus such overloading is really widespread at
present.  I'm not claiming this is a good idea, merely describing status
quo.  A thoughtless change would risk breaking systems that rely on times
being sortable, fitting within current field width, etc.

> There's also no reason to believe that's actually what has happened here.
>
> C.UTF-8 *is* a first-class locale, and if any installers are using
> en_US.UTF-8 when they should use C.UTF-8, those installers must be fixed.

d-i allows selecting C as locale, but that's real 7-bit C rather than
C.UTF-8.  As such, it's not really usable in most contexts.

Furthermore, if your location is not UK, Ireland or a few others, d-i will
default to en_US.UTF-8.

> Furthermore, the only bug I'm aware of in this area is the fact that, when
> no locale is configured in the environment, glibc falls back to C instead of
> to C.UTF-8, despite the fact that this is shipped prebuilt in the libc
> package and is always available.

I agree here, that would be the natural thing to do.  I've even submitted a
patch implementing this (#874160), however it hasn't been accepted as the
maintainer doesn't want a divergence with upstream.  Upstream glibc already
has a proposal with this change -- I've tried contacting its proposer but
did not receive an answer.  I don't know glibc upstream's politics well
enough to drive it forward.

> As to the actual bug, I don't know if this represents a deliberate change or
> if it's accidental.  Speaking for myself as an American, I can confirm the
> described behavior... and can say that it completely escaped my notice,
> because I prefer 24h time whenever given the option.  Nevertheless, if this
> bug is to be deemed 'wontfix', it must be done solely with respect to what
> is correct for the *US* locale.

You should have considering this before invading! :p

Meow.
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ We domesticated dogs 36000 years ago; together we chased
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ animals, hung out and licked or scratched our private parts.