* Paul Gevers:

> Hi Florian,
>
> On 29-07-18 13:26, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I'm not sure why it is necessary to build glibc three times (unless
>> it's impossible to get multi-arch packages into the buildroot).
>
> I am not sure if I understand what you mean, but currently having
> multiple arches available in the autopkgtest testbed isn't supported. I
> have seen packages try (gnupg2), but this goes easily wrong considering
> the unstable-to-testing migration setup. If there is a real need for
> this, it should come from autopkgtest.

Sorry, I never worked on the Debian toolchain, so my phrasing was
poor.

In concrete terms, what I meant was: Why build libc6-i386 on amd64
when there is a libc6:i386 package as well?

In Fedora, there's a restriction that buildds cannot install foreign
architecture packages.  Some packages need a 32-bit glibc on a 64-bit
builder, too.  (Typical gcc flags, for example, or fake amd64 packages
such as amd64).  That made me wonder if Debian has a similar
restriction for its buildds.