Your message dated Mon, 31 Dec 2018 12:46:44 +0100
with message-id <20181231114644.ga1...@aurel32.net>
and subject line Re: grep: Misleading error message when presenting a badly 
formed character class
has caused the Debian Bug report #816311,
regarding "regex: fix [ diagnostic"
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact ow...@bugs.debian.org
immediately.)


-- 
816311: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=816311
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact ow...@bugs.debian.org with problems
--- Begin Message ---
Package: grep
Version: 2.5.4-4
Severity: normal

It seems that whenever egrep finds something it cannot digest inside a
character class, it spews out the same error string: «Unmatched [ or [^».
This can be misleading and opens the way for long debugging time,
specially when trying to understand complex regexes. To illustrate the
point:

$ echo | egrep -v '[[:digit]]+'
egrep: Unmatched [ or [^

The brackets _are_ balanced, however the character class is not (it
lacks a finishing colon).

Thanks,

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-vserver-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages grep depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.9-7      GNU C Library: Shared libraries

grep recommends no packages.

Versions of packages grep suggests:
ii  libpcre3                      7.8-2      Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expressi

-- no debconf information



--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Version: 2.28-0experimental0

On 2016-02-29 19:47, santiag...@riseup.net wrote:
> control: clone -1 -2
> control: retitle -2 "regex: fix [ diagnostic"
> control: reassign -2 glibc
> control: tags -2 + patch
> control: block -1 -2
> 
> El 26/02/16 a las 08:49, Jim Meyering escribió:
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 6:51 AM,  <santiag...@riseup.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to forward a bug filled by Gunnar Wolf in Debian some time
> > > ago:
> > >
> > > "It seems that whenever egrep finds something it cannot digest inside a
> > > character class, it spews out the same error string: «Unmatched [ or [^».
> > > This can be misleading and opens the way for long debugging time,
> > > specially when trying to understand complex regexes. To illustrate the
> > > point:
> > >
> > > $ echo | egrep -v '[[:digit]]+'
> > > egrep: Unmatched [ or [^
> > >
> > > The brackets _are_ balanced, however the character class is not (it
> > > lacks a finishing colon)."
> > 
> > Thank you for forwarding that.
> > The diagnostic was fixed in gnulib via a commit last month:
> > git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=7c6e85cf4eccbd5129

This change went into glibc when it has been synced with gnulib in
commit eb04c21373e, which is included in glibc 2.28. I am therefore
closing this bug with this version.

-- 
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B
aurel...@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net

--- End Message ---

Reply via email to