* Adrian Bunk:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 07:13:28PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Adrian Bunk:
>> For comparison, the original plan was to provide a macro, perhaps
>> -D_TIME_BITS=32 and -D_TIME_BITS=64, to select at build time which ABI
>> set is used (“dual ABI”).
>
> To me this would sound like more trouble than a clear break,
> similar to the mostly working dual OpenSSL 1.0 and 1.1 support
> in stretch.

Could be.  But it would enable keeping i386 at the old ABI while still
building the distribution with newer glibc versions with current
kernel headers (the libc-alpha discussion is evolving regarding the
precise nature of the enablement approach).

Other 32-bit architectures could opt to do the transition now.

>> Similar to the LFS support, with the
>> additional property that binaries built in either mode should continue
>> to work on kernels which predate support for the *_time64 system
>> calls.
>
> Debian does not support running on kernels older than the one in the
> previous stable release.
>
> E.g. Qt in Debian 9 unconditionally uses the getrandom syscall that is
> not in kernel 3.16 in Debian 7.

The 64-bit system calls arrived in Linux 5.1, so I think the fallback
will be needed for quite some time.