On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Aurelien Jarno <aurel...@aurel32.net> wrote:

> control: tag -1 +moreinfo
>
> Hi,
>
> On 2020-10-19 21:02, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2020-10-19 14:56, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

> > > Hi, Is this going to be reviewed / considered for inclusion?
> > >
> > > icu package in Debian now compiles with such a definition too, and is
> > > actively trying to lookup updated tzdata from that location.
>
> I got a look at that patch, and I fail to see why it should be part of
> the tzdata source package:
> - it doesn't use any files from the tzdata sources
> - the unicode-org github repository is not updated synchronously with
>   tzdata, and even lagging by a few versions (currently it only has
>   2020d instead of 2020f). This would prevent use to ship new tzdata
>   versions until the unicode-org repository is updated.
>
> In that regard it would be better to just ship and independent
> tzdata-icu source package instead.

In theory it should be possible to rebuild the "unicode-org" files
from tzdata sources. But it's quite convoluted and I haven't managed
to do that yet. And it will need like icu tools & java as build deps,
last time I looked. If this was done rationale for doing that in
tzdata source package would have at least some merit. But that's not
here yet.

However, my rationale for including this into the tzdata source
package was mostly about ensuring that this data ends up in the tzdata
binary package. That way systems that have tzdata package installed,
have the right timezones for libicu as well as all the existing ways
of consuming tzdata.

If this is done as a separate package, i'm not sure how to add
dependencies for it correctly. Would tzdata binary package be ok to
"Depends: tzdata-icu" ? I don't want to make libicuXX Depend on it, as
many minimal container workloads may have libicu but don't currently
install or pull in tzdata which is considered as large by them. And
yet, if tzdata is pulled in, I would want to have tzdata-icu
available. And hence if tzdata will always depend on tzdata-icu..... i
might be easier to do it as a single source/binary combo, rather than
two source/binary packages with one depending on the other.

Wr.t. to being out of sync, the delay in updates is usually small. And
i would be ok to ship slighly lagging tzdata-icu w.r.t tzdata. As any
update is better than none, as libicu itself has a very stale builtin
tzdata-icu in stable series (whichever libicu version got shipped with
upstream and ended up in testing at freeze, as in years out of date
sometimes).

Let me know what you think is the best course for me to invest effort in.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.