control: severity -1 minor

Hi,

On 2023-08-07 20:22, sz4a6w+m7urcelry0i4@cs.email wrote:
> Package: libc-bin
> Version: 2.36-9+deb12u1
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> When I run `locale -a` I get output such as:

> C.utf8
> POSIX
> en_US.utf8
>
> However, the correct names of the UTF-8 locales are supposed to be hyphenated
> according to the standard, and uppercase according to convention:
> C.UTF-8
> en_US.UTF-8
>
> Musl (alpine linux) shows the locales correctly.
>
> The canonical UTF-8 is preferable to the utf8 synonym (if it can be called a
> synonym, utf8 is not defined by IANA). It is especially important that the
> C.UTF-8 locale contains the hyphen.
>
> If you wish to see what the canonical character encoding is for a locale, you
> can run for any locale `LC_ALL=en_US.utf8 locale charmap` and it will output
> UTF-8.
>
> A lot of additional information can be found here:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/605770/is-the-utf8-in-en-us-utf8-a-canonical-character-set/605777#605777
>
> that post explains what glibc is doing and why it is incorrect in doing that.

This is purely an upstream issue, and for keeping consistency across
distributions, Debian will not change the output of 'locale -a' without
an upstream change.

Therefore the best is to report the bug upstream [1], so that you can
also provide answers directly. Please mention the bug number here so
that we can track the issue. Thanks.

Regards
Aurelien

[1] https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/