Replying to both:

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 06:59:16PM +0800, Maytham Alsudany wrote:
> On Sat, 2024-03-30 at 09:48 +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > Maytham Alsudany <maytha8the...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-go-git-go-git-fixtures
> >
> > I looked at this update, and one of the proposed changes is to include
> > all of the pre-generated stuff from here:
>
> Previous versions of the package also include this test data.

Right.

> > https://github.com/go-git/go-git-fixtures/tree/master/data
> >
> > directly into the installed Debian package.  Given the recent xz fiasco,
> > I have doubts that this is a good idea -- there is a bunch of
> > pre-generated compressed git repositories in that directory, and I don't
> > see any way to re-create them from scratch.  They seem to have been
> > manually curated by some developer in the past and then compressed and
> > uploaded, somewhat similar to how the xz problem happened.

At this rate, we will end up pruning a bunch of stuff from Debian. I don't
think it
is wise to remove a package just because of paranoia without fact-checking. I
would
at least check with the upstream developer once. Just saying.

Note that I don't have the time nor the interest to argue with you. I'll just
say 'you do you'.

> They can be decoded though to reveal the source; each tgz archive contains a
> bare git repo, which can be converted into a normal git repo using the method
> outlined at [1].
>
> We can regenerate them manually, but it will take a bit of time to do so. What
> I'm thinking is decompressing each repo archive, and converting the commits
> into a series of patches, accompanied by a shell script or something that can
> turn the patches into a Git repo with the correct branches, tags, etc.

That does seem like a good approach, but quite some work - sure.

> Alternatively (in the long-term), we can drop the whole fixtures package as
> you
> suggested, and rewrite the tests in go-git so that Git is used to generate the
> test repos in the first place (using a Makefile or 'go generate').
>
> > Dropping these files may mean we don't test as much of go-git that is
> > possible to test, but the alternative that we create a vector to inject
> > binaries with no source code into Debian seems worse.
> >
> > Could you modify this package to drop any files that we cannot re-create
> > during the build?  Maybe the entire package becomes useless, if so, then
> > we should just remove it IMHO.
>
> RM bug filed.

In such cases, you need to consult the uploader. Please never file RM bugs
without taking
permission from uploader or maintainer (if it is an individual) of a package.

Do note that it has 2 reverse-depends, which need to be fixed before the
removal happens, else
they start to FTBFS.

| $ reverse-depends golang-github-go-git-go-git-fixtures-dev -b
| Reverse-Build-Depends
| * golang-github-go-git-go-git
| * golang-github-jesseduffield-go-git

Best,