On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:45:49AM -0700, Ben wrote:

> Hello Grant,
>
> Thank you for looking at this.
>
> My build instructions come from the man page for make-kpkg.
> (Is that what you meant?)
>
> In other words what I did was:
>
> apt-get linux-source-2.6.14
> unpack the archive
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg --initrd linux-image

Ok. That's essentially what I did too.

> That procedure should be common to all architectures,
> but in the previous release hppa was an exception. There
> was a  separate package called something like kernel-patch-2.6.8-hppa
> which had to be manually applied.
> There is no such patch available in the latest release, so I
> assumed (until compilation failed) that the hppa-specific stuff
> had been incorporated into the standard debian kernel
> source package as for the other architectures.

Well, hppa still needs such a patch for 2.6.18.
Please file a bug against linux-source-2.6.18 package.

Essentially the 4 offending lines need to be deleted in mm/init.c and
recent SMP patches need to be backported.

> When you say you get the same thing with the
> linux-source-2.6.18 tar ball do you mean you tried it with the
> standard (non Debian) source code? That is interesting.

No - I also installed linux-source-2.6.18 and unpacked the archive (.tar.bz2
file).

If you are trying to build SMP kernel, my advice is to use parisc-2.6
git tree on git.kernel.org. Several SMP fixes went into that and seems
to be fairly stable (outside of XFS problems).

grant