On 20.11.2009 16:44, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Aurelien Jarno<aurel...@aurel32.net>  wrote:
Domenico Andreoli a écrit :
On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:47:11PM +0100, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Matthias Klose<d...@debian.org>  wrote:
On 05.11.2009 14:30, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
frankly i do not know what to do next, besides trying to rebuild gcc-4.4
4.4.2-1 with latest eglibc to see if it is the culprit
or rebuild against eglibc-2.9. could you do this as a test?
yes, build started

the gcc 4.4.2-2 built with eglibc 2.9-25 has not the problem and current
gcc 4.4.2-1 is built with eglibc 2.9-26 [0].  should i try building
4.4.2-1 with eglibc 2.10.1-5 or are we convinced it is NPTL?

At least we are convinced it's eglibc 2.10.1, not 100% sure it is due to
NPTL.

I have done some more tests, showing it's a bit more complicated than
that. apt-get from stable/testing/unstable:
- works with libstdc++6 built against eglibc 2.9
- segfaults with libstdc++6 built against eglibc 2.10.1

Then I tried to rebuild apt against the "broken" libstdc++6.
Surprisingly this new apt-get:
- works with libstdc++6 built against eglibc 2.10.1
- segfaults with libstdc++6 built against eglibc 2.9

So in short, it seems that using eglibc 2.10.1 to build libstdc++6
triggers an ABI change on this library. I haven't investigated more for
now, I am not sure when I'll have time to do it.

This is not surprising, Dave has already pointed out that the debian
libstdc++6 testsuite run clearly has an ABI failure e.g.
~~~
FAIL: abi_check
~~~

I don't have a build around, but isn't this due to the one symbol accidentally exported in an earlier libstdc++ version?

  * Address PR libstdc++/39491, removing __signbitl from the libstdc++6
    symbols file on hppa.

I'm running a build with --without-cloog/--without-ppl to see if that
corrects the testsuite failures.

I doubt it; this only enables optimization options which are not turned on by default and not used to build g++/libstdc++. The Debian packages for ppl and cloog and ppl pass the testsuites on all archs. if you know of further tests which could be run in Debian, please let me know.

We need to stop allowing packages to build if the testsuite runs aren't clean.

yes, or run the testsuite at all (for hppa64-linux-gnu). I'll look into re-enabling checks, but in the past the existing comparision checks are either not working or unreliable for bi/triarch builds.

  Matthias

PS: offline for the next week