On 08/05/13 16:52, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Samuel Thibault <sthiba...@debian.org> (08/05/2013):
>> I'm afraid I'll still not be able to explain people when they ask me
>> why hurd-i386 is not in testing, except vague reasons.
>
> For the record, and speaking only for myself, I'd love to see a proper
> architecture qualification process, rather than Neil's “approach” to
> saying “no” to Hurd based on a few hardware considerations.

The hardware suggestions were a little bizarre.  Some servers with NICs
requiring non-free firmware to work;  a laptop that didn't have working
NIC or Xorg on GNU/Linux until Wheezy;  and a desktop whose hardware
chipsets are unspecified.

I guess Neil had in mind someone setting up a buildd, a developer
wanting to debug an issue with a package on that arch, and maybe a
potential user - using whatever they had available.

But typically it is optimistic to think even GNU/Linux would work
properly on some given piece of hardware.  Things mentioned, like
hardware RAID support, suspend/resume and power management are precisely
the sort of things that can go wrong.

Rather, if you have a preference of operating system it is often
necessary to research what is supported and what is not, and then shop
around.  Therefore we could use a list of example systems already
working with GNU/Hurd, listing what hardware/drivers they use, and some
comments on how well it all works.

> Hopefully we'll manage to handle arch. qual. earlier than during
> wheezy's release cycle. But please allow the release team to lean back
> a few moments.

Even if the decision could be deferred until after r1, Samuel could use
some hints on best to spend time between then and now to try to address
concerns.

My idea would be to look at the (I estimate) 90+ packages that are
out-of-date in sid on GNU/Hurd but not other arches, and were not
already removed by #704477.  This includes some important ones like
gcc-4.8, tar, gdb. git, grub2;  keeping up with jessie development would
be quite difficult without these being up-to-date.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
ste...@pyro.eu.org