Hello!

On Sat, 2023-05-20 at 21:51 +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> On 20.05.23 21:16, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > Hello Frank!
> >
> > On Sat, 2023-05-20 at 20:19 +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> > > I today noticed that a new Debian kernel is available from [1]. Thanks
> > > to whoever built that one - most likely Adrian.
> >
> > The buildd built the kernel, not me ;-).
>
> Yeah, sure. :-) Did you also check out 6.2?

No, I didn't since Debian's kernel maintainers skipped 6.2:

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=linux&arch=ia64

> > > I currently have the rx2620 and the rx2800-i2 at home and gave it a test
> > > on them, and...
> > >
> > > ...it is working more or less flawlessly on both systems. The boot
> > > regression at where the initramfs is extracted is gone for the rx2620.
> >
> > And I can confirm that this kernel boots fine on my RX2660 again. The latest
> > stable kernel from the 6.1 tree (6.1.27) is still affected by this bug
> > though,
> > so hopefully whatever fixed this bug will get backported to the 6.1 tree.
> >
> > > There is a reproducible issue for the rx2800-i2, though, happening just
> > > after the first occurance of a message from the igb driver for the four
> > > built-in PCI-e NICs (longer log on [2]). I cut the intertwined USB
> > > messages here:
> > > [...]
> >
> > I got this message after rebooting the system with 6.3.
>
> It doesn't actually affect operation noticeably. As the rx2660 has
> different NICs (BCM5704) and those are attached via PCI-X but also has
> PCIe, I suspect this is actually related to PCIe and not the igb NICs in
> the rx2800-i2 then.

OK.

> > > Earlier today I built a 6.4.0-rc2 kernel with kernel config based on
> > > "config-6.1.0-9-mckinley" and localmodconfig matching the needed modules
> > > for my rx2620 **and** rx2800-i2 combined.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the resulting kernel "crashes" as soon as udevd starts and
> > > that for both systems similarly. But yeah, the initramfs issues are gone
> > > for the rx2620. If someone is interested, the error messages are on [3]
> > > and [4] for rx2620 and rx2800-i2 respectively.
> > >
> > > [3]: https://pastebin.com/SAUKbG7Z
> > >
> > > [4]: https://pastebin.com/v1TTB2x3
> > >
> > > Well, rc2 might just be to early to conclude that there is a new error.
> > > And it could also be an issue of my kernel config. I'll try to observe
> > > how later kernels behave.
> >
> > Maybe you will have time to bisect it tomorrow? :-)
>
> Unfortunately not, I'm away tomorrow. Wouldn't it make more sense to
> wait for the 6.4 release to be sure it's not due to something unrelated
> to ia64 (1 run takes my rx2800-i2 40 mins and it only produces a handful
> of modules in that time)?

You should cross-compile your kernel. I can build a kernel for my rx2660
on an AMD EPYC in 2-3 minutes. And it's definitely better to catch the
regression before the release as this way you will get the fix landed
for 6.4 instead of 6.5.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz