On Fri, 21 Jul 2023, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > I suspect that this is one of those catch-22 situations: distros are
> > going to enable every feature under the sun. That doesn't mean that
> > anyone is actually _using_ them these days.

I think the value of filesystem code is not just a question of how often
it gets executed -- it's also about retaining access to the data collected
in archives, museums, galleries etc. that is inevitably held in old
formats.

> We need to much more proactive about dropping support for unmaintained
> filesystems that nobody is ever fixing despite the constant stream of
> corruption- and deadlock- related bugs reported against them.

IMO, a stream of bug reports is not a reason to remove code (it's a reason
to revert some commits).

Anyway, that stream of bugs presumably flows from the unstable kernel API,
which is inherently high-maintenance. It seems that a stable API could be
more appropriate for any filesystem for which the on-disk format is fixed
(by old media, by unmaintained FLOSS implementations or abandoned
proprietary implementations).

Being in userspace, I suppose FUSE could be a stable API though I imagine
it's not ideal in the sense that migrating kernel code there would be
difficult. Maybe userspace NFS 4 would be a better fit? (I've no idea, I'm
out of my depth in /fs...)

Ideally, kernel-to-userspace code migration would be done with automatic
program transformation -- otherwise it would become another stream of
bugs.