Hi!

Am 01.02.19 um 14:28 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Le 29/01/2019 à 19:00, Markus Koschany a écrit :
>
>> I will attend FOSDEM 19 in Brussels this weekend (03.02.2019, 12:40
>> local time) and give a lightning talk (15 min) about our heroics.
>>
>> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/debian_java/
>
> Thanks a lot for holding that talk. I won't be able to attend by I can
> make some suggestions.

Would have been great to see you there. Next time!

>> Naturally there is not enough time to explain everything in detail but
>> it should be adequate to put our message across. Here is your chance.
>> What do you consider important or what would you like other people from
>> the community to know?
>
> You could maybe summarize the upcoming Java related changes in Buster. I
> started thinking about a blog post on this topic, the freeze is the good
> time to publish it. Some items worth mentioning:
> - the transition to OpenJDK 11 and the massive effort involved (more
> than 400 package updates the last time I counted)
> - the state of the build tools. Ant and Maven are up to date, Gradle is
> stuck at the last pre-Kotlin version. SBT still being worked on.
> - the state of the JVM languages: Groovy 2.14, Scala 2.11.12 (2.12
> requires SBT), Clojure 1.9. Kotlin is wanted but difficult to bootstrap.
> - the state of the IDEs: Eclipse is gone (lack of maintainers), Netbeans 10
> - on the application servers side: Jetty 9.4 and Tomcat 9, fully up to
> date, and now with systemd integration.
> - the reproducibility rate is now around 85% (Stretch was around 75%).

Perfect. Will be mentioned.

>> I would like to reuse some of the scripts that we used for our last blog
>> post in 2016 [1] to fetch some packaging statistics. Are those scripts
>> still available? Otherwise I intend to use UDD a lot.
>
> I have a script that compares the packages between two releases but I
> haven't published it yet. I'll run it and post the result for the
> stretch/testing differences (it doesn't addresses the maintainer/bug
> counts though).

I tried to gather some fine grained statistics about bugs and used

https://udd.debian.org/bugs/

for that. However the results appear very strange to me. There is even a
selection for "Java team". I just wanted the total bugs reported in the
past 600 days and all RC bugs and all RC bugs fixed (done). It is not
very important but if you have some spare time in the next month we
could figure this out and create some sort of statistics page like

https://blends.debian.org/games/maintstats/

just with more information and for fun.

>> What specific OpenJDK changes caused the most grief?
>
> - New layout of the JDK installation
> - Removal of tools.jar
> - Removal of the JavaEE APIs (activation, JAXB, JAXWS...)
> - Removal of javah
> - javac source/target pre 1.6 removal.
> - ByteBuffer return type changes (Java 11 compiled code breaks with 8)
> - sun.misc.Unsafe breaking changes
> - Javadoc pendantic errors, JQuery embedding
>
> But let's not rant too much and keep the talk positive :)

I can't promise that. :)

>> Why we all love JavaDoc? :E
>
> Grrr :)

:)