On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 08:22:14PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Am 15.02.19 um 15:42 schrieb tony mancill:
> [...]
> > Any thoughts on whether we should focus on fixing javadoc generation or
> > look at other ways to mitigate the FTBFS?
>
> Like burning all those -doc packages? :)
>
> In my opinion we could ask Robert Scholte for advice. He is chairman of
> Apache Maven and directly involved in fixing this bug. If he doesn't
> know....
>
> However I think I have found a workaround, and we all love workarounds,
> don't we.
>
> In your initial post you pointed to a related bug report. [1] That made
> me think and also read the fine Maven Javadoc documentation. There is an
> option called detectJavaApiLink
>
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#detectJavaApiLink
>
> If I add
>
> detectJavaApiLink=false to debian/maven.properties in libparanamer-java,
> the package builds from source again.
>
> Maybe we should patch our tools and set this property to false and move
> on for now? Hopefully in a few months this will just work again without
> changing this option, when maven-javadoc-plugin et al. have been
> catching up?

Hi Markus,

Very nice find about detectJavaApiLink!  I'll try patching the
default value in current maven-javadoc-plugin here [1] and kick off as
large of a ratt build as I can see about coverage.  Assuming that is
successful, we could then look into what it would take to schedule a
binary NMU all packages that depend on maven-javadoc-plugin.  (Or maybe
someone on the list has a better idea?)

Do we know if there is any downside to disabling this by default?

Thanks!
tony

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/maven-javadoc-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/javadoc/AbstractJavadocMojo.java#L569