Hello,

On 2020-05-13 16:46, Gilles Filippini wrote:
> I'd like to push json-simple 3.1.1 into unstable, but I'm not sure how I
> should handle the transition. The 3.x releases are not backward
> compatible with 2.x.
>
> A whole set of deprecated classes has been removed:
>> * Deprecated JSONParse and JSONValue in favor of Jsoner.
>> * Deprecated JSONStreamAware and JSONAware in favor of Jsonable.
>> * Deprecated JSONObject in favor of JsonObject.
>> * Deprecated JSONArray in favor of JsonArray.

Maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to patch the dependencies to work
with 3.x release? There are ~15 source packages, so I'd say it should be
doable provided the API changes are not too drastic. This would allow to
retain the same binary package name.

> I think about renaming the binary package to libjson-simple1-java but
> keeping the jar file name as json-simple.jar. It implies setting
> Conflicts: libjson-simple-java.

Name libjson-simple3-java would be better, as it reflects the upstream
version. However, I would recommend against having conflicting JAR
names, as this would effectively forbid coexistence of packages
depending on different versions of json-simple.

If having both v2 and v3 JARs could not be avoided, I'd suggest
providing /usr/share/java/json-simple-2.x.jar in libjson-simple-java and
/usr/share/java/json-simple-3.x.jar in libjson-simple3-java. Packages
junit [1] and junit4 [2] are made to coexist in a similar manner.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/junit/filelist
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/junit4/filelist

Hope this helps,
Andrius