> Currently, I have access to the packages 'eclipse'/'eclipse-platform' on
> Ubuntu.  Having either installed then allows additional packages/plug-
> ins to be installed for the various computer languages (e.g. JDT, CDT,
> pydev).

FWIW I've been running eclipse on debian desktops and laptops ince 2013.

Initially I used the deb packaged version, but that was so antiquated
compared to the current eclipse version at the time, that I moved to
eclipse's own installer and have used that since then, installing under
$HOME/eclipse/ (I am the only user on these debian systems anyway).