Le 2023-09-14 01:03, Vladimir Petko a écrit :

Java 21 removes source/target compatibility level 7. Some packages (80
in total as per the attached list) have it specified in rules or
Makefiles.
I was wondering if it is okay to raise a single bug to update them and
submit the changes as pull requests on Salsa.

For the previous Java migrations I started with a mass rebuild and then
filling a bug report for each broken package. The reports had a user tag
to be able to follow the progress (and document the main issues encountered).

Here is for example the bug list for the migration to Java 17:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=default-java17;users=debian-java@lists.debian.org

Personally I find it satisfying to see the list shrinking over time,
I also hoped that it would entice new contributors to join the migration
effort (but it barely materialized, if at all). But as long as the work
is done it doesn't really matter how it is organized.

Also, we could add a DEB_ variable to specify the minimal supported
level. The variable will allow us to avoid repeating this work in the
future, but I am not sure what is the best way to provide it.

Interesting idea. Where would that variable be declared? In debhelper?
Will the maintainers agree?

As a side note, bumping the source/target level isn't always the best
solution. For example olap4j breaks when building the Javadoc, in this
case I recommend scrapping the -java-doc package. These packages are a
recurrent source of issues when migrating to more recent JDKs, and they
are almost never used.

Emmanuel Bourg