KMail (4.11.5; sid) just lost a message I was sending without any
apparent trace. Hoping to get it back somehow, I started digging around
in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail. Nothing there, because the newest file in
there appears to be from July 2013.

Curiouser and curiouser. In such a case the answer is usually --
"Akonadi". I speculate that the contents of that directory, the dimap
subdirectory in particular, is just debris. In my case, dimap alone
amounts to 2.5GB of dead weight. I think when updating to the Akonadi-
based KMail users should have been informed that the old cache directory
is no longer needed.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig