#include <hallo.h>
* martin f krafft [Mon, Jul 05 2004, 07:57:01PM]:

> To my understanding, kernel-headers are to be used in compiling
> kernel modules. However, quite a few modules require
> $KERNELSOURCE/drivers,

If they don't describe it in the manual, file bugs.

> others try to execute `make modules`

This works with kernel-headers-2.6...! And for versions below this
method be used because whatsoever.

> in the KSRC directory

Not just in the KSRC directory, they parametrize the call. This is a
valid behaviour and recent kernel-package packages include enough files
to have working build infrastructure.

> and yet others only work with make-kpkg, which requires the kernel
> source.

Ehm, what do you mean? The module-source _are_ to be used with make-kpkg
or compatible build method (eg. running debian/rules with the needed
arguments and environment, or using the module-assistant utility).

> Therefore, it seems to me that the kernel-headers packages have no
> use (at least in 2.6). The following module-source packages cannot
> be built with the headers only:
>
>   drm-mach64, bcm4400, bcm5700, lirc, pcmcia, freeswan, openswan,
>   arla, openafs.

<side note>This number of packages is very low (almost ridiculous) for a
good statistic. </>
I just tried to build the few source packages installed here
with kernel-headers-2.6.6-2-686 (using "module-assistant alli -k ...")
and most worked:

cloop, nvidia, sl-modem, lufs, cdfs, shfs, bcm4400, bcm5700, lufs,
ipw2100, ppscsi

Some have failed:
pcmcia (internal bug, needless requirement of modversions.h)
arla (weird hocus pocus with mirroring the kernel build system, broken)
loop-aes (using arbitrary build system based on kernel source, known
to need the complete source)

> In all cases, I tried:

Ehm, what about trying to read the docs or make-kpkg source before
reporting bugs?

>   ./debian/rules  KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-X.Y.ZZ modules-binary

This is _not_ the rule that make-kpkg calls! Some people think that it
is "a must" for module-source packages but it is AFAICS just an
invention of the dh-make author to unify some commands (but I must
admit, I have partially reused its concept in module-assistant include
files ;).

> Either I am doing something wrong

You are. Please read the source of a good module-source package (eg.
ALSA) or one control script and/or makefile includes
from module-assistant.

OTOH, you are a DD and module-source maintainer, do I really need to
tell you to RTFM?

Regards,
Eduard.