Maybe give a _warning_ (rather than an error) if "$rootdev = 0" but
this is not great for the case that $rootdev should be zero (see bug
#310316).  Alternativly we could wait untill after the call to
mount_root (or whatever it is) and check that a root filesystem has
been mounted on /mnt. Something like this ? $INIT would normally be
/sbin/init but if there is a kernel command line parameter to say
different then we should place that in $INIT first...

[ -x /mnt$INIT ] || ( echo "WARNING: $INIT not found on root device
major=$major minor=$minor" ; sleep 5)

Just a thought...
Alex Owen