Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 20:51 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:
>>

>> > Our upstream is linux-firmware.git, not a hundred vendor web sites.
>> > Frankly I'm quite sick of the iwlwifi maintainers thinking their
>> > firmware is special and should be distributed differently from every.
>> Huh?  I always though they sent a pull request whenever they felt a new
>> update was "ready".  Like this:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/149963
> [...]
>
> But apparently the firmware sometimes isn't 'ready' until *after* the
> previous major version reaches end of life.
>
> If all versions of firmware are either EOL or beta, Intel is
> effectively disclaiming support for the affected hardware.

Well, yes, that is confusing. I cannot imagine that it was their
intention.  FWIW, the current driver still supports firmwares back to
"13" for the 7260:

/* Highest firmware API version supported */
#define IWL7260_UCODE_API_MAX   17
#define IWL7265_UCODE_API_MAX   17
#define IWL7265D_UCODE_API_MAX  21
#define IWL3168_UCODE_API_MAX   21

/* Oldest version we won't warn about */
#define IWL7260_UCODE_API_OK    13
#define IWL7265_UCODE_API_OK    13
#define IWL7265D_UCODE_API_OK   13
#define IWL3168_UCODE_API_OK    20

/* Lowest firmware API version supported */
#define IWL7260_UCODE_API_MIN   13
#define IWL7265_UCODE_API_MIN   13
#define IWL7265D_UCODE_API_MIN  13
#define IWL3168_UCODE_API_MIN   20

That is the authoritative source wrt "support".

Bjørn