The question is how to provide a similar guarantee if a different way?
As a tool to aid distro reviewers, modversions has some value, but the
debug info parsing tools that have been mentioned in this thread seem
superior (not that I've tested them).

On the other hand the big advantage of modversions is that it also verifies the checksum during runtime (module loading). In other words, I believe that any other solution should still generate some form of checksum/watermark which can be easily checked for compatibility on module load. It should not be hard to add to the DWARF based tools though. We'd just parse DWARF data instead of the C code.

Regards,
-Stanislav