On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 04:08:56PM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> I've verified that this fails on my XU4 in both Debian 4.9 and 4.11,
> as well as upstream 4.12-rc1 (haven't tried 4.10, probably doesn't work).
> The discussion says this broke in 4.8. The bisect pointed to a patch, which
> has a partial revert here:
>
>   https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/10/16/63
>
> They seem too hackish to go into upstream, though.

I checked out ODROID's own 4.9 tree, and it works fine (tested for a few
days). So I diffed drivers/usb/dwc3/, and these are the only two patches that
actually are missing that I can see:

https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/commit/74b9605e5587b30912d6b6093e9d7fb06d043c33

https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/commit/2166ffd004e04a61887eb2a39f8639dc12140c58

The second doesn't apply cleanly, and I don't understand the commit message
anyway (does it only matter if dwc3 is _not_ built as a module?), but the
former seems safe enough to apply. Given that it's been in their tree since
2016, it also would seem to have received a fair amount of user testing.

I've applied the former patch (the revert) on top of Debian's 4.9.25 kernel
(linux-image-4.9.0-3-armmp-lpae), and it boots with working USB and thus
networking on my XU4. I saw this at some point after boot, though:

  [  550.087389] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.5.auto: Cannot set link state.
  [  550.087426] usb usb6-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)

In any case, it essentially takes the system from “totally broken” to “might
have some problems”. Would you consider taking it in for stretch, so that the
XU4 has networking? I'll keep running with this kernel to get more
experience.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: https://www.sesse.net/