On Wed, 2018-07-04 at 14:24 +0200, Nicola Manini wrote:
> Hello,
>               I faced this very same issue today.
> googling this bug report was extremely useful: I deleted timidity, and now
> sound is back.  Obviously this is no solution, as I (or someone else) will
> need timidity eventually.
>
> I understand this is not a kernel related issue, but it is still a serious
> issue anyway: timidity may grab the sound card at random moments, making
> sound unusable.

The timidity-daemon package does this, and this is intentional and not
a new behaviour.

What changed recently (I think) is that some versions of timidity
recommended timidity-daemon be installed.

> I cannot tell who is actual package (timidity? systemd?) responsible for this
> nor how this can be corrected (maybe insert an extra delay before the
> timidity daemon is started?), but it sure requires a fix.
>
> So shouldn't this bug be reassigned rather than closed?

Because the bug was already fixed in timidity version 2.14.0-4.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug