Package: initramfs-tools
Version: 0.131ubuntu8
Severity: wishlist

Hi,
I'd like to have fully encrypted system with partition table inside of LUKS
container. It is easier to manage for me than multi-layer LVM.

However, there are 2 issues with this described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/1786688

The first issue is that after decryption of LUKS container there is a
filesystem check and `get_fstype` function returns `undefined` for any
partition table.

I'd like it to return `pttable` or something similar instead, so that after
decryption it will not lock container back with "unknown fstype, bad password
or options?".

Patch would look something like this:

get_fstype ()
{
        local FS FSTYPE FSSIZE RET
        FS="${1}"

        # blkid has a more complete list of file systems,
        # but fstype is more robust
        FSTYPE="unknown"
        eval $(fstype "${FS}" 2> /dev/null)
        if [ "$FSTYPE" = "unknown" ]; then
                FSTYPE=$(blkid -o value -s TYPE "${FS}")
        fi
-       RET=$?
+
+       if [ -z "${FSTYPE}" ]; then
+               if [ ! -z $(blkid -o value -s PTTABLE "${FS}") ]; then
+                       FSTYPE="pttable"
+               fi
+               RET=$?
+       fi
+
+       RET=$?

        if [ -z "${FSTYPE}" ]; then
                FSTYPE="unknown"
        fi

        echo "${FSTYPE}"
        return ${RET}
}

This would be the first step, after that it would be possible to adjust
cryptsetup integration to scan decrypted partition table for partitions with
partprobe or kpartx.

I don't know how to send patch properly, so redirect me to proper place if this
is not the right one.