Control: tag -1 upstream

On Tue, 2019-05-07 at 22:10 +0200, k...@osnanet.de wrote:
> tags 919632 - upstream
> thanks
>
> Dear Ben, thanks a lot for all your time and effort!
>
> tl;dr: Please don't revert. I've found the culprit. See my recommended
> bug fixing procedure near the bottom of this message.
>
> Zitat von Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk>:
> > It looked like the problem in these three bugs was that
> > newer versions of the driver that preferred firmware-6.bin were
> > incompatible with firmware-5.bin even though they tried to use it.
>
> Very close. This bug is in fact dependent on the driver version. I'm
> very sorry for not having picked up that clue before, and instead
> havin tried the stretch linux-image 4.9.0 all the time. Your latest
> E-Mail led me to the correct hunch. I'm not certain about the other
> bug reports right now, but your bugfix might take care of all of them.
>
> > Since the older driver version also fails, I suppose I should revert
> > the previous upstream change to firmware-5.bin.
>
> No, please don't do that (quite yet), for three reasons:
>
> 1. This very change might well have solved some of the other bugs you
> tagged solved.
>
> 2. The mere addition of ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin definitely
> didn't worsen (at least) my situation.

I wasn't proposing to revert that.  Only the earlier change in
firmware-5.bin.

[...]
> * Leave the firmware blobs the way they are in 20190502-1.
> * Find out their required minimum driver/kernel version. (possibly
> with my future help)
> * Add the missing dependency firmware-atheros -> linux-image
> ${version}, and maybe document that in the package description, and/or
> in firmware-.*/README.Debian, and/or wherever you deem appropriate. At
> least the dependency seems important to me for all the present and
> future backports users.
[...]

No, that's not the correct approach.  Whenever there is an incompatible
change in a firmware blob, the filename must be changed as well.
That's why the latest version is called firmware-6.bin.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.