On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 4:11 PM Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-01-15 at 12:50 +0000, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 06:12:05AM +0000, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > > retitle 948041 libbpf-dev: please build from
> > > https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf
> > > reassign 948041 libbpf-dev
> > > merge 942903 948041
> > > quit
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > I agree --- if upstream development were happening in
> > > https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf then this would be a no-brainer.  It
> > > appears to instead be a mirror of the source that's in the kernel
> > > repo, though.
> >
> > That will be difficult as all of them are dependent on the ftrace hooks
> > that are in the kernel.

> > > If I'm reading that correctly, the intent appears to be that it would
> > > allow faster libbpf upgrades.
> >
> > Yes, one of my intent. Faster and independent.
>
> This is a potential benefit, but probably only in the run-up to a
> release when we might fix the kernel version early.
>
> [...]
> > > Is there some underlying need that we could address more directly?
> > > I think I'm missing some piece of the motivation here.
> >
> > Going back to the history of why I started this bug report. I was added
> > in a discussion about libtraceevent and Steven (upstream developer of
> > libtraceevent) was asking how can he make changes to the library without
> > releasing a new version and that the distros should not pick up as that
> > will still be premature and not tested enough.
> [...]
>
> However, this ability to release libbpf *less* often also seems
> important, and I think this point has been missed.
>
> I have some concern about whether this might prevent us building
> bpftool in future (if it depends on recent changes in libbpf) but
> that's hypothetical at this point.

Since, bpftool will also be in userspace, so I am guessing that it
will also have the same problem as libbpf and the upstream developers
might again think of moving to github. But whatever is the case I am
sure we can think of something to fix that problem if it arises.

> So on balance I support moving libbpf out to a separate source package.

Thanks Ben.

As discussed, I will raise a merge request on the kernel repo to
remove libbpf building bits. And then use this bug to deliver the new
source package.

--
Regards
Sudip