On Tue 2020-03-10 22:23:18 -0600, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> https://data.zx2c4.com/wireguard-5.5.8-20a586ec4f5acf195f71caea55c5a33c574078cb69712da591467ffc08dd8b72.zip

Thanks, Jason!

> - A user is on stock Debian and runs `apt install wireguard`: only
> wireguard-tools is pulled in.
> - A user is on weird Debian (say, some AWS kernel) and runs `apt
> install wireguard`: wireguard-tools and wireguard-dkms are pulled in.

Are you thinking about kernel 5.5 or kernel 5.6 or later?

if wg is mainlined in 5.6 and the user is on a 5.6 or later kernel, then
i don't think we want wireguard-dkms at all, right?

> I was under the impression that the "Provides" mechanism does a good
> job at that. But perhaps there's another good way you have in mind.

The automatic uninstallation of packages with legacy kernel ABIs is what
Ben has identified as a sticking point for putting a Provides: on the
"real" kernel package.  But it doesn't sound like that's a problem for
the kernel metapackages.

    --dkg