[Added the bug address back in cc.  Reply to all, not just to me.]

On Mon, 2020-08-03 at 00:56 +0200, m...@tuta.io wrote:
> > That's a warning from cryptsetup, not from initramfs-tools itself.
> I'm sorry for that, how do I forward this to cryptsetup?
>
> > So you don't know whether update-initramfs actually failed?
> I didn't take the chance, no.
> A few days ago I was trying to configure cryptsetup to unlock with a
> keyfile. I was doing so from a live system that mounted cryptsetup
> devices with generic names ("luks-UUID"), if I didn't change the name
> of the device to "hdd500_crypt" with "dmsetup rename", then I would
> get this exact message and the system would not boot.
>
> Unfortunately this is my only machine and it is very important that
> it keeps working. If I do try to reboot after getting that warning I
> fear that I might have to spend an entire afternoon fixing it.

If I understand rightly, you created or reconfigured a cryptsetup
volume (hdd500_crypt) but it's not listed in /etc/crypttab.  The
initramfs should still work as it only needs to mount / and /usr, but
you probably couldn't boot all the way to multi-user mode without
/home.

Is hdd500_crypt listed in /etc/crypttab?  If you add an entry for it
and re-run "update-initramfs -u", does it complete successfully without
warnings?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings