On Sun, 2020-09-27 at 13:43 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Answering from my phone, please excuse brevity and other netiquete
> issues such as poor quoting cleanup.
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, at 09:14, maximilian attems wrote:
> > Dear Henrique,
> >
> > It be great to get your input, hence repinging (;
> >
> > Especially as linux-firmware is the common upstream source, it be ideal to
> > ship
> > the amd64 mircrocode out of our firmware packages.
>
> We can ship the ucode and other related data files in linux-firmware-
> nonfree, yes.  But the initramsfs glue needs.to go somewhere.  Either
> it can stick in the older package, and a depends ensures it gets
> installed, or linux-firmware-nonfree must carry it as debian
> packaging.

That's a good point.  firmware-nonfree does have initramfs integration,
but currently that is just triggering update-initramfs for packages
whose firmware might get pulled in automatically.

[...]
> > On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 10:36:12AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > Dear Henrique, dear debian kernel maintainers, Cc: Michael,
> > >
> > > Would you agree to generate the amd64-firmware packages directly out of
> > > the debian
> > > linux-firmware source package?
> > >
> > > This way the microcode would be updated on every linux-firmware non-free
> > > upload?
>
> If you guys think this will improve update delivery latency in
> Debian, I am not opposed.  But ucode updates go to security,
> backports and stable unless there is too little feedback to gauge
> regression risk.
>
>   Is that viable for the whole of linux-firmware-nonfree ?  If not,
> it would make sense to keep the amd64 ucode in a separate package.
[...]

firmware-nonfree is present in backports suites, and does get security
updates (mostly for Wifi and Bluetooth issues).

However, we normally take all changes from linux-firmware.git up to a
specific tag, and that might not be appropriate for the AMD microcode
given the potential for system-breaking regressions.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: