Close please.

The 17G was from trying to blank the drive, which for some reason disconnected in the process resulting in a file written in /dev with the name sda. From there on the loop and so on. So there was a /dev/sda file as a left-over after that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and apologies.

I am going to continue investigating why I got the data corruption in the first place, before I tried to blank it, but it looks like it may have been a hardware issue with the original USB-to-ATA bridge.

--
Anton R. Ivanov
https://www.kot-begemot.co.uk/