On Sat, 2021-12-25 at 18:25 +0000, John Scott wrote:

> https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/carl9170fw/carl9170fw_1.9.9-399-gcd480b9-1.dsc

Some things that prevent the upload of this package:

I don't think udebs are needed for firmware packages, none of the other
WiFi firmware packages in Debian have them. If the package is actually
needed it should be named -udeb not -di, since other udebs use -udeb.

Several files have missing/incorrect information in debian/copyright,
please do a full audit of the code looking for copyright/license info.

 * tools/include/list.h is LGPL
 * tools/include/frame.h is partly from Linux, unknown copyright
 * include/shared/eeprom.h also contains ISC code

DEB_BUILD_OPTION_PARALLEL doesn't appear to be a standard variable,
please switch to DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=N instead, see Debian
Policy, section 4.9.1 and debhelper(7) and dpkg-buildpackage(1).

Some things that would be nice to fix at some stage:

Nothing in debian/rules references .config so you can drop that from
before the execute_before_dh_auto_configure target.

It seems like the Homepage should be the carl9170.fw firmware wiki page
instead of the carl9170 driver wiki page.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/carl9170.fw

I would express the license of include/shared/fwcmd.h etc as GPL-2-only
&& ISC rather than putting a copy of the ISC license in a comment.

bug-presubj isn't well wrapped. I'm not sure if wrapped or unwrapped is
the best option for this file though.

Please ask upstream to make a new release, it has been a very long time
since the last one.

Please ask upstream to update their copies of code from the Linux
kernel and other external sources to the latest versions.

Please ask upstream to send FindUSB-1.0.cmake & libusb-zeropacket.diff
to libusb upstream and then remove them from carl9170fw.

Please ask upstream to delete FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake,
since that is now available from cmake upstream and from Debian cmake.
Potentially cmake_minimum_required will need to be bumped for this.

Please ask upstream to include the copyright information
for carlfw/src/memcpy.S and carlfw/src/memset.S in the files.

Please ask upstream to update the COPYRIGHT file.

Please send upstream some changes that would allow building the
upstream source using a pre-packaged toolchain like the Debian one.

Please also figure out how to eliminate the other debian/rules
workarounds.

It would be nice if the Linux kernel community or the Debian src:linux
package could split kconfig off into a reusable component.

Please add an upstream metadata file:

https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

I suggest these arguments to wrap-and-sort:

wrap-and-sort --short-indent --wrap-always --sort-binary-packages
--trailing-comma --dry-run

These tests from check-all-the-things suggest some polishing for
upstream and or yourself: anorack codespell cppcheck cpuinfo debmake-k
duck http path-max proselint shellcheck spellintian todo

https://github.com/collab-qa/check-all-the-things

--
bye,
pabs