Control: tag -1 wontfix

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 12:24:07 -0400 calumlikesapple...@gmail.com wrote:
> I figured I should ping this, since I don't know that it was properly
> shown to the debian-kernel mailing list.
>
> > Interestingly it still contains the following note in documentation:
>
> >   Zswap is a new feature as of v3.11 and interacts heavily with
> >   memory reclaim.  This interaction has not been fully explored on
> >   the large set of potential configurations and workloads that
> >   exist.  For this reason, zswap is a work in progress and should be
> >   considered experimental.
>
> > Unless this is not anymore to be considered valid, then
> > CONFIG_ZSWAP_DEFAULT_ON could be switched on (which should be
> > possible since 5.7-rc1).
> I saw that as well.  However, zswap has gone through a lot of changes
> since then: it is enabled by default on Arch at least, and possibly
> more distributions (I couldn't find the kernel config file for RedHat).

It's part of <https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kernel>.  This option
is not enabled in any configuration there.

SUSE kernel configurations are part of
<https://github.com/openSUSE/kernel-source> and they don't enable it
either.

The latest Ubuntu kernel package
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/linux/5.15.0-35.36+22.10.1/linux_5.15.0-35.36+22.10.1.dsc
>doesn't enable it either, though I understand that it's enabled for
some systems through the kernel command line.

> The feature is still maintained, and appears to be bug-free.  I'm
> having a hard time seeing the disadvantage of enabling it.

"Bug-free", ho ho.

<https://linuxreviews.org/Zswap> has a benchmark whee zswap can improve
or worsen performance, depending on configuration.  Frustratingly, that
page doesn't show results for the default configuration (lzo compressor
and zbud allocator).

I'm sure it's a useful feature for some systems, but I think it needs
updated documentation and a more consistent performance benefit before
we could enable it by default.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today,