Hi Dan!

Thanks so much for your description, it already gives me some ideas how to
improve things wrt the documentation :-)

On Thursday, 20 October 2022 21:48:20 CEST Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 October 2022 19:53:22 CEST Dan Coleman wrote:
> > > Apparently "test-patches" does not build a 'headers-common' package and
> > > therefor installing the headers failed which in turn made DKMS fail.
> >
> > That seems like less-than-ideal behavior for test-patches.
> > Is that a bug that would benefit from being reported?

I (now) do think it is useful to file a (wishlist) bug against src:linux in
which you request improvements to the 'test-patches' script:
1) also creates a headers-common package.

> When I finally managed to get the test kernel compiled, I couldn't install
> it, either via apt or dpkg. I was told that apt would take care of removing
> the dependencies causing the conflict, but it didn't. DKMS wasn't
> triggered, it was a mess.

2) make it easy/easier to install the resulting kernel deb, which does not
involve removing an existing kernel (meta) package.

By setting the 'abiname' 'property' you can achieve that, but I don't know if
that idea has been evaluated before and discarded.
But the kernel maintainers should be able to answer that.

Cheers,
  Diederik