Control: reassign -1 tech-ctte
Control: severity -1 normal

Hi

I don't see any way to solve this issue right now.  Please decide this
matter according to 6.1 nr 2 Debian Constitution.

Background:  linux-libc-dev provides the Linux API for consumption by
all userspace stuff.

This package was arch-any for as long as I remember and provided only
the headers for this single architecture.  Since a short while this
package is now arch-all and provides headers for all known Debian
architectures in one swoop.  This change was done when the Ubuntu
maintainers asked if we wanted to follow.

This now means that new architectures will need to get added to
linux-libc-dev first and it is not longer required to push hand crafted
packages somewhere in the ports archive.

However the package now contains everything that is also contained in
the uncoordinated linux-libc-dev-*-cross packages.  The only difference
is the physical location of the files (/usr/include instead of the
policy violating /usr/*/include).  This API proofed to be compatible
with all tested packages available in the archive.

Because of this (from my side unnecessary) code duplication, I opened
the plan to replace linux-libc-dev-*-cross, see #1059786.  Two months
later the following bug report comes in:

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 08:53:11AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> linux-libc-dev claims to provide linux-libc-dev-ARCH-cross, but it doesn't
> do that completely
>
> Provides: linux-libc-dev-amd64-cross (= 6.7.7-1), ...
>
> However the links in /usr/DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE/include are missing.
>
> Please stop providing the cross-packages, you don't even need a breaks,
> because the current cross packages continue to work.
>
> Once that is done, I'll reduce the cross packages to some symlinks.

Even after several e-mails, the OP was unable or unwilling to show where
the problem actually lies.

Please decide who is going to provide linux-libc-dev and all the
associated cross stuff and how it should look like.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Vulcans never bluff.
                -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1