Hi

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 03:26:32PM +0000, Colm Buckley wrote:
> This is a real problem - however I think it is *not* one which the change
> in dependency addresses; even if -headers-Y depends on -image-Y, step 3
> above will proceed without any conflicts (because the reverse dependency is
> not true). I think the only realistic way to address this (assuming we
> don't want to make -image depend on -headers) would be to have a
> linux-complete (not sold on the name) package series which depends on
> corresponding versions of both image and headers packages. Users who
> regularly build new modules should be encouraged to install this package
> and have it pull in suitable versions of both headers and image.

No, there is no "correct" solution.  Anything correct would need not
only moving the dependencies, but also the maintainer scripts, into one
package.  This is not going to be done without major restructuring.

So as long as there is no concept and support for that it will remain a
somewhat working solution.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Change is the essential process of all existence.
                -- Spock, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", stardate 5730.2