On Wednesday 04 January 2006 00.43, Brian Nelson wrote:

> Why don't we use RHEL's kernel, or collaborate with them to maintain a
> stable kernel tree, or something?

The real nice thing would be a central mailing list where all kernel
development were coordinated.  Perhaps some sort of industry-sponsored
cooperation could be founded who could hire a few of the lead kernel
developers, too.

Errm.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

But you're right, coordination could be closer - I think the new w.x.y.z
stable upstream kernels are a good start in this direction.  I've no idea -
how many of Debian's kernel people participate actively on lkml or some
other non-distro-specific kernel development forum?  From afar (never
looked at it closely), git should be able to help, too, by making it easier
to move isolated patches between trees - some central index of proposed
patches might be helpful, so that people wouldn't need to grep through -mm
changelogs or similar (dunno, perhaps somebody's already written that.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Es genügt nicht, daß man zur Sache spricht. Man muß zu den Menschen
sprechen.