Hi Noah,

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to do - run a lean cloud kernel on this 
appliance instead of the full generic kernel I have to use now.

As for whether this is common enough - I don't know, I am just one data point. 
I can explain:

The task is to connect to a fortinet VPN. These are very common in this part of 
the world.

The vendor provides a linux client but it is targeted for desktops. Pulls in 
gtk and a whole x11 stack as dependencies. Has a command line interface but 
even this needs a lot of handholding. Not really suitable for a cloud 
environment. Not lean.

Then I found openfortivpn. Open source, packaged in debian, cli only. One 
config file and will run unattended. No dependencies apart from pppd. Lean. 
This is what I run now.

You know what else is lean? The ppp modules:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7428 Sep 28 12:18 ppp_async.ko.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4232 Sep 28 12:18 ppp_deflate.ko.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23364 Sep 28 12:18 ppp_generic.ko.xz

Maybe you can reconsider and add these to the cloud kernel, please?

Thank you,
Robert

________________________________________
From: Noah Meyerhans <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2026 22:04
To: Robert Trebula <[email protected]>; [email protected] 
<[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Bug#1150209: Acknowledgement (linux-image-cloud-arm64: please 
enable CONFIG_PPP=m in the -cloud kernel)
 

The goal of the cloud kernels is to include only drivers and
functionality commonly used in a cloud environment.  I'm not sure
CONFIG_PPP meets these criteria.

You can install the standard non-cloud kernel on your instances if you
require functionality not available in the cloud kernel.  Will that
address your use case?

noah

Reply via email to